A kidney transplant is a life-saving medical procedure performed to replace a diseased or non-functioning kidney with a healthy one from a living or dead donor. India is known as a leading destination for kidney transplants. Indian hospitals offer world-class medical facilities, highly skilled transplant surgeons, and cost-effective treatment options.
One of the reasons why India has become a preferred destination for kidney transplant surgery is the cost-effectiveness of the procedure. The overall cost of kidney transplantation in India is affordable and significantly lower than in many Western countries.
The cost of a kidney transplant in India ranges from INR 5,00,000 to INR 15,00,000
What is Kidney Transplantation?
A kidney transplant surgical procedure is performed for individuals suffering from end-stage renal disease (ESRD) or severe kidney dysfunction. This procedure removes the diseased or non-functioning kidney and, after that, replaces it with a healthy kidney from a living or dead donor.
The kidney transplantation procedure involves several key steps:
- Donor Selection: A healthy kidney is obtained from a living or dead donor. Living donors are usually family members or close friends who voluntarily donate one of their kidneys. Dead donors are individuals who have died, and their organs are retrieved for transplantation.
- Matching and Compatibility: In the case of living donors, compatibility and tissue matching tests are conducted. This is done to ensure a suitable match between the donor and the recipient. These tests help minimize the risk of organ rejection.
- Surgery: Under general anesthesia, the surgeon removes the diseased or non-functioning kidney from the recipient. The surgeon then replaces it with the healthy donor kidney. The new kidney is connected to the recipient’s blood vessels and urinary tract.
- Immunosuppressive Medications: After the transplant, the recipient must consume immunosuppressive medications. These medications prevent the immune system of the recipient’s body from rejecting the new kidney. The recipients consume these medications for the rest of their lives.
What are the Benefits of Kidney Transplantation?
Kidney transplantation offers the following advantages to patients suffering from ESRD or severe kidney dysfunction:
- Improved quality of life: The kidney transplant recipients experience an improvement in their overall quality of life. They regain the ability to lead a more normal and active life without the constraints of regular dialysis treatments.
- Increased longevity: Successful kidney transplantation can significantly extend a patient’s lifespan compared to dialysis alone. With proper care, transplanted kidneys can last for many years.
- Reduced healthcare costs: While the initial cost of kidney transplantation may be significant, it often becomes more cost-effective than long-term dialysis treatments over time. Patients save on the ongoing expenses associated with dialysis.
- Less restrictive diet and fluid intake: Transplant recipients have fewer dietary restrictions and fluid intake limitations than dialysis patients, enhancing their overall freedom and quality of life.
- Improved energy levels: Many transplant recipients report increased energy levels and reduced fatigue compared to when they were on dialysis.
- Less frequent medical appointments: After successful surgery, patients require fewer medical appointments. These patients spend less time in healthcare facilities than those on dialysis.
What is the Cost of Kidney Transplant in India?
The cost of kidney transplants in India is significantly lower than what patients would spend in many Western countries. Open nephrectomy or laparoscopic nephrectomy are the two types of procedures used for kidney transplants. You may pay more for minimally invasive surgery (MIS).
The cost of kidney transplant in different Indian cities is as follows:
- Delhi: INR 6,76,630 – INR 13,53,261
- Bangalore: 6,64,089 – INR 13,28,096
- Mumbai: INR 7,01,277 – INR 14,02,637
- Chennai: INR 6,08,225 – INR 12,16,451
- Hyderabad: INR 5,89,631 – INR 11,79,180
Which Notable Doctors in India Perform Kidney Transplant Surgery?
India boasts several renowned specialists specializing in kidney transplantation surgery. Some of them are listed below:
Dr. Rajeev Sood:
- Dr. Rajeev Sood is a Urologist with over 23 years of experience.
- His expertise includes treating Urologic oncology, Bladder prolapse, Cancers, Enlarged prostate, Peyronie’s disease, interstitial cystitis or painful bladder syndrome, Kidney and ureteral stones, Prostatitis, Undescended testes, or cryptorchidism, Urethral stricture, and Pediatric urology.
- He has served in the Armed Forces, performing over 3000+ kidney transplants.
Dr. DVSLN Sharma:
- Dr. DVSLN Sharma is a well-known Urologist with over 31 years of experience.
- He holds expertise in Direct Visual Internal Urethrotomy (DVIU), Urology Consultation, Urinary Tract Infection (UTI), Testicular Surgery, and Urethrotomy.
- He is skilled in removing blockages, repairing urinary organs, and treating an enlarged prostate. In the case of men, he is well trained to perform surgeries of the penis, testicular surgery, vasectomies, and laser prostatectomy, apart from regular treatment for urinary tract infection, minimally invasive urology, urostomy, and urinary tract obstruction.
Dr. Sanjay Gogoi:
- Dr. Sanjay Gogoi is a Urologist and Renal Transplant Specialist with an experience of over 25 years.
- His expertise includes Robotic Constructive Urology, Renal transplantation, Transurethral Incision of the Prostate, Congenital disabilities, and Genito-urinary fistulas.
- He has performed over 500 renal transplants and was part of the team that performed the World’s First Robotic Kidney Transplant (RKT).
Dr. Aditya Pradhan:
- Dr. Aditya Pradhan is a notable Urologist and Kidney Transplant Surgeon with over 22 years of experience.
- His expertise includes Uro-Onco treatment of Cancers of the Prostate /Urinary Bladder and Kidney, all types of transplants such as Cadaver, Paired Kidney transplant, and ABO incompatible transplants.
- He has assisted the Government of Tanzania in setting up its Renal Transplant operations in Dares Salam.
India is a leading destination for kidney transplant surgery. Indian hospitals offer affordable treatment options, world-class medical facilities, and highly skilled, renowned transplant surgeons. The cost of a kidney transplant in India is relatively lower than in many other countries, making it a perfect option for patients seeking this procedure.